Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Simple Lemony Citronade






Summer just stepped in and the temperatures here are so high, I can only think of something refreshing, as drinking a lot of water starts to get boring. So why not create a new blog dedicated to what I love most – cooking, and a super cold and fresh lemonade. It is not too sweet and not too sour and the best part is that you can make hot or warm and enjoy it all year round.
Before I get to my recipe let me please just share a little about myself. Recently I have been on a healthy kick trying to loose weight and look amazing. This is why most of the recipes here will be on the healthier side – low in sugar and sodium, well balanced and made from scratch.
My lemony citronade is actually a lemonade with a little twist because why use only lemons when you can add a whole lot of yummy citrus like lime – oh I looove lime, and oranges. I am using a blender, however this drink can be made without it – right into the pitcher and then in the fridge to chill. Now lets see how it’s made:)
Ingredients for 1,5 liters (lets say 6 cups)
1 lemon
1 lime
1 orange
1 table spoon of honey (or more, to taste)
mint
brown sugar
2 cups of ice
3 cups of cold water
Let me talk a bit more for the fruits. I will be using both the juice and the zest of all of them because I have grown them myself and I know that mine are not treated with any chemicals. If you do not have organic fruits just use the juice of the ones you have. Mine were super plumped and when I squeezed them I got about a cup of liquid. If you wish you can use more fruit.
In my blender I added the juice and zest of my citrus with my honey and let it blend for a minute until the honey is dissolved. If you are not using a blender just stir it for a while. After that I added my ice, mint and water and blended it all for a minute until the mint and the zest are tiny pieces you can drink, but not completely blended. The mint can be fresh or dry – both work just as well. In the one on the picture I have used dried mint as I was out of fresh. If you do not use a blender just make sure that your mint and zest are not in to too large pieces.
And you have it – super refreshing minty lemonade you can serve over ice or as it is. And you might wonder what to do with the brown sugar. If you do not find it sweet enough the brown sugar is the way to go – you can sprinkle some of it over the top as it goes so well with the lime and mint, reminds me of mojito.

No comments:

Post a Comment