Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Absolutely Delicious Energy Bites


Trying to live healthy is not easy, especially when it comes to avoiding sweets. Lately I do crave sweets at work and I just cannot handle myself on that chocolate bar whispering my name from the cafe. I have always thought that those energy bars everyone is so hipped about are really not that good. I have tried Roobars and to be honest they are not anything special. I am not a vegan or raw eater, but I loved the idea of a non processed sweet treat packed with energy, healthy fats and deliciousness, that would not spike my blood sugar. And this is what I came up with.
The bites are coming together in no time at all as basically all goes on your chopper or food processor. Here are the ingredients:
A cup of soaked dates
Half cup raw cashews
Half cup roasted almonds
A cup of coconut shreds
A pinch of salt
A tbs.of the water the dates were soaking
+ some coconut shreds and cocoa powder for rolling, ones the bites are done. This step is optional.
I made some of the mixture chocolate by adding cocoa powder and a tbs. espreso to the rest of the ingredients
This is how it goes: You put all of the above goodness in your machine and let it bled until you have the consistency you like. I left my a little bit chunkier as my chopper was having difficulties blending it completely. The consistency you are looking for is playable and sticky, so you can roll it into balls or put it into a pan lined with plastic wrap.
What I did was I put some of the coconut sheds in a plastic bag and add to it the bits, shook them until they are completely covered and transferred them into a container, that I put in the fridge. For the chocolate ones I really wanted to make them really luxurious and covered them with cocoa powder so they remind truffles.
About the salt and coffee – you cannot taste them at all. In such small quantities they are just taste enhancers and nothing actually tastes salty or like coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment